Pages

Monday, November 16, 2015

Over The Weekend: Overcome The World

I keep thinking back on this podcast by Timothy Keller. Essentially, the message is bad things happen and that is normal. When good things happen, it is a miracle. With everything that has happened in the last 48-72 hours, it feels like there is only bad things.
Maybe it is age, maybe it is experience, but there is very little that shocks me. I am a little embarrassed at how little I feel over these recent violent attacks in Paris. I am saddened but not surprised. It is almost a numbness. Then watching the aftershocks on social media causes me to be more apathetic. I don't know if apathetic is the right word. It is a heavy, sad feeling. The opinions and "debates" turn a horrific situation into a show. There are people who voicing genuine concern and sorrow. They are trying to mentally and emotionally wrestle with the facts but they drown out by the hundreds of other voices. The "others" are pushing ignorant policies and political views. It feels like a large crowd of people yelling over each other. Everyone is saying something but it doesn't seem like anyone is taking the time to listen. Maybe are trying to make sense of the situation as best they can. It is disheartening the ridiculousness that follows something like this.
It is kind of nice to have a little corner of the Internet to voice your thoughts but not have to worry about other people seeing it. Putting up a status on FB guarantees that someone will read it. Putting something up hear means that it is out there, but maybe no one will see it. I feel a freedom to be expressive in a space I call "my own" than I public forum like Facebook.
So what do we after something like what happened in Paris? That is the big question. I wish there was plan. I would love to offer up a carefully and thoughtfully crafted strategy that was ideologically consistent, yet compassionate and fiscally responsible. What that would look like, I don't know. All I know is that bad things are going to happen and we are going to have to do deal with them.

John 16

No comments:

Post a Comment